International Market Expected to G
||Friday, 15 August 2008
- Det Norske Takes Tax Initiative
- State Guarantee or Tax Refund to Cover Development
- Revise Norm Price System
- Group Guarantee for NCS Subsidiaries
- OLF: Interesting
- Could Break Tax Discussion Stalemate
||Tuesday, 5 August 2008
Using Petoro - for What?
- Labour MP Suggests Petoro Should Sell SDFI Gas
- "StatoilHydro Unconcerned about Domestic Use of Gas"
- "Would Mitigate StatoilHydro's Dominance"
- Not True, but Better Options Possible
||Monday, 4 August 2008
- StatoilHydro Not to Make New Investments in Iran Now
- Lund Says Decision is Company's Own
- "General Assessment" Including US Pressure
- Follows US State Dept's July Decision to Open Investigation
- StatoilHydro Targeted By US Neocons, Israel Lobby
- Iran Could Blacklist StatoilHydro for Many Years
- Objection to Merger Internationalization Argument Confirmed
||Monday, 28 July 2008
Unauthorized State Power
- Minister Requested Lutelandet Negotiations
- Leaves Most Responsibility with the Minister
- Weak Government Scared of Losing Local Votes
- StatoilHydro Wind Power Also Tied to Complaints
||Thursday, 24 July 2008
- Gjøa Partners to Share Lutelandet Payments
- Wind Power Window-Dressing Optional
- Disagreement Over Renegotiation Clause
- Progress Party Playing both Ends
||Wednesday, 23 July 2008
- Noreng: Oil Should Be Priced in Euro
- Dollar Recycling Means Huge Free Credits
- May End Due to Risks and Costs to Non-US World
- Further Depreciation Will Undermine Dollar
- Are "Euro-Brent" or "Euro-Dubai" Markets Possible?
- "Producer-Consumer Dialogue" Suddenly More than a Buzzword?
||Thursday, 17 July 2008
- StatoilHydro Makes Deal on Lutelandet
- Agrees to Invest in Wind Power, Infrastructure
- Increased Activity for Local Supply Base
- Locals Withdraw Demands about Gjøa Power Supply
- State Blackmailing Itself
- How Can Oil Companies Justify Unrelated Costs?
- Surrender Opposite of Corporate Social Responsibility
||Monday, 30 June 2008
- 20th Round Finally Announced
- 79 Blocks, Down from 301 Nominated, 104 Recommended
- Large Areas Postponed After Objections from Greens, Fishermen
- OLF Only Moderately Satisfied
- War of Attrition Continues
- New Minister's Footprint Uncertain
- Tilted Openness Policy
||Monday, 30 June 2008
- Porter On "Strategic CSR"
- Further Developed By McKinsey CEO
- The Dangerous Political Feed-Back Loop
- "Enhanced CSR" - Standards Truly from Own Convictions
||Monday, 30 June 2008
- What Is Corporate Social Responsibility?
- Enlightened Self-Interest, Tactics, Protection, or Idealism?
- Does It Require Alignment to Social Paradigms?
- Must Industry Choose Between Being Amoral and Submissive?
- Can a Copy-Cat Be Moral and Responsible?
- Or Does CSR Require Offering Fully Candid Opinions?
||Monday, 23 June 2008
- Industry Pleased with Minister Terje Riis-Johansen
- Haga Not Missed, but Manner of Departure Deplorable
- Final Solution Dictated by Centre Party Leadership Situation
- State Secretary Stubholt Continues, Was Close to Top Jop
- Riis-Johansen Expected to Put 20th Round on Track
||Wednesday, 18 June 2008
Even Playing Field
- Even Playing Field Optimal Climate/Energy Strategy
- Requires Uniform Carbon Pricing across All Sources and Sinks
- Required to Avoid Counter-Productive Decisions
- Will Activate Poorly Known Oil & Gas Advantages
- Will Allow for Undisturbed Long-Term Planning, No "Sunset"
- Includes Other Possible Climate Change Scenarios at No Cost
||Tuesday, 17 June 2008
- What Is Meant by "Transition Period"?
- Does New Report Contribute to Shorter Oil & Gas Perspective?
- Shortened Time Perspective Will Cause Damage
- Recruitment, R&D, Framework Conditions
- Northern Norway Expects and Needs Long Term Spin-Offs
||Monday, 9 June 2008
- Kon-Kraft Submits Report on "Energy Nation Norway"
- Healthy Energy Cluster Climate Solution, Not Problem
- Convincing Story within Context of Ruling Beliefs
- But What if Some of Them Are Wrong?
- And Is Alignment the Best Strategy?
||Friday, 6 June 2008
Motion - or Not?
- Discussions with Iceland on Jan Mayen Ridge
- Minister: Normal Cooperation about Straddling Fields
- Considering How to Increase Knowledge about Region
- Conservatives: Norway Seriously Trailing Iceland
- Must Not Continue Dragging Its Feet
||Saturday, 31 May 2008
- Minister Plans to Divert Gjøa Power Source
- Accepts Delay and Extra Costs
- Gjøa Group: More than NOK 5 Bn in Extra Costs
- Minister Refers to "Parliament Decision"
- But Parliament Said Delays Not Acceptable
- Equivalent to Using Petroleum Projects as Slush Funds
- Will Oil Companies Accept Being Used that Way?
- Interesting Test About Corporate Social Responsibility
||Thursday, 29 May 2008
Money to the North
- Should We Copy US GoM Revenue Sharing?
- Offshore Estate Taxes?
- Or Is a Risk-Based Upside Sharing System Better?
- Local Participation in Value Chain
- Radical Improvement of Coastal Oil Spill Response Planning
||Wednesday, 28 May 2008
Power to the North
- Barlindhaug Suggests New Planning Regime for Northern E&P
- Should Integrate and Influence Risks and Opportunities
- Local Policy Arena with Empowered Northern Interests
- Oil Companies Should Adjust Contract Strategies
- Decentralized Decision-Making Process Democratically Fair
- Also Good Proxy for Price Tagging Non-Market Values
||Thursday, 15 May 2008
Green Roll-Back Strategy
- Agencies: 20th Round under New Management Plan
- Agency Director Openly Attacks MPE Minister
- Demands for APA Removal or Amputation
- MPE Withdraws Half of APA08 Extension
- Minister Agrees to "Full Re-Evaluation"
- Says She Is Under Cross Pressure
- Deputy Says APA09 Will Be Delayed
- Battle Over 20th Round in Progress
- New Light Cast on 20th Round Postponement
||Thursday, 15 May 2008
Time for Hedging?
- Progress Party MP Suggests Oil Price Hedging
- MoF: Price Uncertainty No Problem
||Tuesday, 13 May 2008
- Iceland to Announce 1st Round 15 January 2009
- Opening Dreki Region on Jan Mayen Ridge
- Ridge Has Same Origin as East Greenland, North/Norwegian Seas
- Norway Has Right to 25% Participation
- Huge Structures Straddle Border to Norway
- Larger Plays on Norwegian Side
- Why Is Norway Waiting?
- Jan Mayen Ridge Must Be Taken Out of new Management Plan
||Friday, 2 May 2008
- Real Phenomenon, Not Bad Luck
- Known by Oil Industry for Many Years
- Reducing Bids the Rational Response
||Tuesday, 29 April 2008
- Shell: Chukchi Could Be New GoM
- Some 100 Prospects, 14 Covered by Leases
- ConocoPhillips Plans Site Surveys
- Shell, ConocoPhillips Took High Ground
- StatoilHydro, Eni Together in Virginal Acreage
- Alaska Expected to Demand Revenue Share, Secretary Positive
- Oil Spill Contingency Challenges
||Thursday, 17 April 2008
Limits to Growth - for Renewables
- Rampant Food Price Crisis
- UN Official: Biofuels a Crime against Humanity
- US Reaction to Send Emergency Relief
- French Reaction to Increase Protectionism
- Scottish Wind Power Destroys Peatland Carbon Storage
- Land Use Problem Challenges Precautionary, Even "No Regrets" Principles
- Social Fabric More Fragile than Nature's?
- Tougher "Limits to Growth" for Renewables than for Fossils
||Tuesday, 8 April 2008
StatoilHydro Grows in GoM
- StatoilHydro Wins 16 New GoM Leases
- Hit by "Winner's Curse"?
- #27 on GoM 2007 Production
- #3 on all GoM Leases
- #2 on Deep Water Leases
- #7 on Deep Water Operatorships
- Could Hold 3-3.5% of Remaining Known GoM Resources
||Tuesday, 1 April 2008
Brits Discover Hidden Innovation
- UK Discovers Hidden Innovation in Petroleum Cluster
- Fund Says Exploration is Good Proxy for Innovation
- Why Make a Difference Between Knowledge and Innovation?
- Much Hidden Innovation also in Construction
- Metrics and Policies Should be Industry-Specific
||Saturday, 8 March 2008
Fossils Save Forests II
- Plenty of Incoming Solar Energy, But Hard to Capture
- Limit So Far Appears to Be 2% Only
- Wind Power Scale-Up Would Take 16% of Forests
- Solar Would Take 9% Except in Sahara
- World's Largest Solar Farm Built on Pastures
- Fossils cannot Be Replaced While Preserving Forests
- Costs Absurd Anyway
- Oil & Gas Industries Make the World Green
- Bio Resources Should also Be Mobilized the Good Way
||Saturday, 8 March 2008
Fossils Save Forests I
- Land Use Impact from Energy Forgotten Variable
- Land Use a Function of Energy Source Concentration
- Forest Cover Growth Turns Positive at Higher Industrialization
- Important Reason is Use of Fossil Fuels
- Confirmed by Interesting Chinese Anomaly
- Replacing Fossil Fuels with Biofuels Could Require All Global Forests
- Biofuel "Spearhead" Sweden Trails Oil Norway on Forest Growth
- Swedish Example Indicates Biofuels from Wastes Also May Harm Forests
||Friday, 29 February 2008
- New Studies Show Biofuels Will Boost CO2 Emissions
- From Decades to Centuries before Net Gain
- Effects on Land Use Earlier Grossly Underestimated
- Worse if Future Opportunity Losses are Counted
- Fossil Fuels Better than Almost All Biofuels
- Improved Forest Management Superior Carbon Emission Mediator
- Biofuels from Wastes Acceptable, but Lose to Remote Heating
- Soaring Food Prices Makes Scrapping Biofuel Subsidies Urgent
||Thursday, 21 February, 2008
- 164 Blocks Nominated in the Norwegian Sea
- Only 31 in the 19th Round
- Majority of Relinquished Blocks Nominated
- Also Large Virginal Areas
- Much Discussion around Møre I Blocks Expected
||Monday, 18 February, 2008
Governance Andersen Style
- Opposition Reprimands Industry Minister
- Reinås Sacking Risked State's Credibility as Owner
- Governance Passive, Media Driven, and Excessively Arbitrary
- Could Have Dealt with Stock Options from Merger Process Onwards
- Minister Surprisingly Argues Strategic Disagreements
- Never Communicated to Parliament
- Never Mentioned for Reinås or Hydro Bodies
- Disturbing Interpretation of Governance Principles
- Relevant for Future StatoilHydro Governance
- Point about Wasted Shareholder Value Still Ignored
||Friday, 15 February, 2008
- Statfjord Spill: StatoilHydro Admits to Multiple Mistakes
- Releases Unusually Open and Candid Report
- Confirms Cause Was Chain of Minor Events
- Most Could Have Been Avoided
- But Is that in a Perfect World Only?
- And How Can We Get Closer to Perfection?
||Monday, 4 February, 2008
- 46 Companies Nominate 301 Blocks for 20th Round
- Up from 66 in 19th Round
- We May Still Have too Few Strong and Interested Frontier Actors
- Also Single Nominations Included, Formerly at Least Two Companies
- Barren Parts of Barents Sea Apparently Blossoming
- Miracle or Illusion?
- Anyway Many Promising New Barents Opportunities Indicated
||Tuesday, 29 January, 2008
- Svein Rennemo New StatoilHydro Chair
- Impressive Industrial Record
- From Marxist-Leninist to Pragmatic
- But How Much Pragmatism is Safe in StatoilHydro's Context?
||Friday, 11 January, 2008
- Eni: Goliat Landing Means Postponement
- Technology Needs to Be Verified
- Some Kind of Floater Most Likely
- NPD Requires More Synergy Studies
- Area Resource Management May Favour Surface Facility
- Surface Facility May also Generate More Long-Term Spin-Offs
- Eni to Consider New Policies for Local Spin-Offs
- Opens Office in Hammerfest
- Which Solution Has Lowest Environment Risk?
||Wednesday, 9 January, 2008
Another Dead Illusion
- Agencies Kill Illusions on Electrification
- Government's Approach Vindicated
- Costs 700% Above Bellona Estimate
- Bellona (Almost) Admits Defeat
- Major Point on Non-Socialists Demand List Invalidated
||Tuesday, 1 January, 2008
- Bente Nyland New NPD Director General